Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Making a Change

In one of my more recent posts, I mentioned my new fitness love for Beachbody's Turbofire.


After I complete my last half marathon of this year, I will begin Advanced Turbofire and ChaLEAN Extreme, both of which are also Beachbody programs.


I've never considered myself an athlete, nor have I ever thought of myself as a health and fitness advocate. But since I've been a stay-at-home mom, I've had PLENTY of time to think about what I want to do when it's time to re-enter the workforce.

There were many days (and still) when I would feel sorry for myself because I left my previous job as a project manager and its very substantial income. I often longed for the days past when we had such financial freedom and a fat savings account. Now that we are living under one income and have two kids (one still in diapers), we don't live as comfortably as we used to. Sometimes, my husband has had to prolong a haircut or I had to forgo a race because we needed to save the money to put towards a bill (like my student loan payment which I will pay till I perish this earth). Blech!

I discovered blogs back in December 2010 as a way to get advice on easing back into running, post-partum. Little did I realize at the time, as my blogroll grew, that there were potential career opportunities for me to consider. I didn't have to find a 9-5 job to live comfortably. For instance, although blogging doesn't seem to be a lucrative career, it does involve one of my first interests and that is writing. When I was younger and had the time, I loved to read and write. I remember visiting the library often and writing stories in a spare notebook. I also tried keeping a diary but that didn't last because my brothers were on the hunt for it daily. Grr...

Other career opportunities I learned of through Twitter included being a health and fitness coach. This is where Beachbody comes in. When I purchased Turbofire earlier this year, I remember reading about their coaching program and the benefits of earning an income. But I thought it might be another ploy to get me to sell something. I already went through that with a certain reputable cosmetics company (who shall remain nameless) and just ended up with $100 worth of product sitting in a box that I would later give to my friends for FREE.

But through Twitter, I found Kalee Sorey of Sorey Fitness. Kalee is also a Turbofire lover and in a just a few Twitter exchanges, I asked if she could be my Beachbody coach. I soon learned that she and her mom, Kimberly Fleming Sorey, are the masterminds behind Sorey Fitness. They are Beachbody coaches and Kalee is my coach. Kalee put out a call for a coaching internship just a few weeks ago and I signed up. So far, I'm learning a lot and I'm feeling more and more confident each day that I can do this. I.CAN.DO.THIS!

No comments: